Hello and welcome new student!
Thank you for your interest in working with me at BobTeachesArt.com. Here are few things you will need to know before we get started. Every student is unique and has different set of skills, that is why I require a short online meeting with you before we begin our learning together. Our first meeting will just be a 20 to 30 minute online session using a program called Zoom (Zoom is a program similar to Skype and Google Hangouts). In our first session I will try to get a better assessment of your skills, abilities and how I can best help you. This meeting will also have give us the opportunity to get to know each other a little better and make sure my teaching methods meet your expectations.
If we choose to work together here some additional things you will need to know:
- Our first meet up session will last for 20-30 minutes. I will ask you some questions about your skill level and expectations as a student. This will help me determine how we will best work together. The feedback you provide will allow me to create individual lesson plans based on your abilities and skill level. There is NO CHARGE for the first meeting it is just a meet and greet session.
- I use a program called Zoom to deliver all my lessons. You do not need to have a paid account to attend lessons or use Zoom. Invitations for sessions are sent to students through an email prior to meetings. The email will provide a link to your session as well as the time and date of the meeting. To learn more about Zoom please use this link: Hey Bob, what’s Zoom and how does it work?
- Online meetings can be recorded per student request. There is a small additional charge for recorded meetings. Recordings are posted on Vimeo.com and are password protected so only you will see them. You may watch as many times as you like. I will make my best attempt to keep them posted as long as possible. Unfortunately hosting is expensive for these videos so I am unable to leave them up forever. Before I remove any video however I will always send a reminder letting you know when the video will be taken down and how much time you have to view it before I do.
- All lessons are planned one week in advance. If for any reason you can’t attend your scheduled lesson please let me know as soon as possible. Scheduled lessons that are cancelled less than 24 hours in advance may incur a charge. I understand how busy things can get in this industry so I will try my hardest to help you reschedule a missed lesson. Please understand however with a busy work schedule and teaching other students, finding open meeting times can a challenge.
- You are the boss. It is up to you to let me know how hard you want to work and where you’d like to focus. I will check with you before and after each session to make sure our learning pace is meeting your expectations. If lessons are going too fast or too slow I will rely on you to let me know so I can make adjustments.
- All invoicing and billing is done through PayPal. I am working on expanding payment methods but for now it’s just PayPal.
- You will receive an emailed PayPal invoice prior to your session. All payments are required in advance of your scheduled session.
- If for any reason I am unable to meet with you at your scheduled time I will either refund your payment or apply it toward your next session.
- Missed sessions without 24 hour prior notice will be charged for normal rate.
- Session rates are:
- $50 per hour online
- $65 per hour in person
- You will need a computer with an internet connection. If you do not have fast wifi you may want to consider a direct connection.
- Any browser will do with the exception Internet Explorer. Unfortunately Zoom and Internet Explorer don’t alway perform well together.
- I teach with the latest version of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. If you are using an earlier version that is usually okay but you may notice some of the tools and methods I am using are not available to you. If you are using anything before CC you may want to consider an upgrade to get the most out of our sessions together
- Tablet and stylus. I like to use a Cintiq or an Intuos when I teach. Many of the lessons I teach are based on working with a stylus and can not be replicated with a mouse. If you are unfamiliar with a tablet and how they work please visit WACOM.com
Setting up our first meeting